Navbar

aboutwhy redux?generation oneg2-beast erarid-moviesclassics-animatedafajapanese

Friday, March 4, 2011

Classics Comparison: Hound

Hound was one of my favorites as a kid. So you can imagine how heartbroken I was when I accidentally broke off his head on the day I took him in for show and tell. When we got home my mother made me throw him away and said we'd replace him one day. Of course that day never came. Hound was off the shelves soon after that and my short attention span probably didn't notice that much anyway. But I still remember tossing him in the trash and that has stuck with me. I replaced him in the early 2000's, somewhere around 2002 or 2003. Off eBay of course. And unfortunately this one isn't in the best condition as you can see.

But he'll do for now until I get more neurotic about the condition of my figures. So when Hasbro announced they were doing a new Hound for the 25th Anniversary Universe line I was ecstatic! And I wasn't disappointed, the new Hound was a great update and homage to the original figure.

I also really enjoy the transformation, the way the seats fold up hearken back to the original Hound. One advantage 1985 Hound has over the Universe version is speed of transformation. As a kid I always tried to keep up with the show when I was playing with my figures and back then it was pretty easy, they weren't complicated. Now new Hound isn't really complicated either, but he does take longer to transform; but I think the trade off is worth it. Here are the obligatory comparison shots.
Of course old Hound has a more accurate alt mode.
New Hound is a lot bigger than expected.
So there you have it. 1985 Hound vs. 2009 Hound. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, and I enjoy them both. Plus a repaint every now and then.
Hound and his convention exclusive repaint Scorch.

No comments:

Post a Comment